It’s that time of year again when those of us who write about Sebastopol homes for sale and related matters have a hard choice to make: do we run the risk of boring everyone to death by writing the same ol’ spring cleaning blog, or can we (please!) just skip it this year?
This time, despite our inclination to do without it for once, we are once again making the same decision. Yes, here is yet another spring maintenance reminder list. (Here’s the list first, ending with why we always make this same decision):
- Of course, clear the gutters, downspouts—and any channel that water finds on your property
- Take a look at the roof—if anything looks screwy, best to assume it needs a closer look
- Seal the deck (unless you did that last year, in which case check whether it’s still doing its sealing job—with weather like we’ve had, it might not last another season)
- Inspect the driveway and walks
- Do a test run of the sprinkler system
- Change smoke and carbon monoxide alarm batteries
- Change air filters
- Take a leisurely stroll around the house to check for infestations (“leisurely” because the evidence can be minuscule)
This isn’t an exhaustive list, so as you’re taking the leisurely stroll you’ll probably notice one or two details that can use attention: some caulking here, a screen that could use replacement there.
And here are the reasons why we always wind up deciding to repeat the same old points:
- Because first-time homeowners often need to be reminded that now they make up the first line of defense
- Because if and when your home comes up for sale, having religiously maintained the place will make a real difference
- Because for homeowners, a stitch in time saves nine…ty.
- Because once you’ve attended to your spring maintenance list, summertime enjoyment of your property won’t be spoiled by nagging upkeep worries
That last one could be the most important. Your Sebastopol home will only come up for sale one time, but you can enjoy it year after year when you feel good about how it’s cared for. But from our point of view, when the day comes that your Sebastopol home really is on the market, not having to scramble to correct maintenance lapses makes the whole process that much easier. Then all you have to do is give us a call!